Microfluidics is the science of manipulating and controlling fluids in networks of sub-millimeter channels and at imageoptics.com we offer imaging systems that illuminate and capture high resolution, high speed video for analysis.
The essential components of a Microfluidics microscope are the optics, high speed camera, objectives and illumination built around a machine mounting, optical table or bench stand.
We offer a modular approach to system building with components from leading manufacturers such as Navitar, Photron and Mitutoyo plus a range of our own stands and adapters. Our comprehensive range of lenses, cameras, objectives and lights can be integrated to build bespoke systems. These can include IR and UV options and a comprehensive range of high quality filters for fluorescence imaging if required.
There are various camera adapters for SLR, M42, F-mount, C-mount cameras.
Key considerations in a MicroFluidics system must include matching camera and optics resolution, stability, fine focus control, high intense flicker free LED illumination built around in situ limitations and budget. Elements such as focused lighting ensures image and video quality.
Standard "off the peg" microscopes can be bulky and costly, can have working distance limitations and be difficult to integrated with other systems. We can advise on matching camera and optics to achieve better image quality and the other system components to meet your requirements.
- Optics - Zoom (manual, motorised, co-axial, detented) or fixed magnification
- illumination - LED co-axial (coloured or white) , LED ring lights, LED sub-stage
- Objectives - LWD, ELWD or higher NA. Also IR and UV options
- Mounting - bench stands , machine mounting or optical bench
- Camera - size, resolution, sensitivity, frame rate, shutter speed and lens mount
- Software - ease of use and functions, data aquisition, image tracking
Key Features often required:
- Control of vibration with fan free cameras and illumination
- Flicker free high intensity white LED illumination
- Sturdy stands with fine control of focus essential at high magnification
- Matching resolution of cameras and lenses
- Exposure times, ie 0.035 ms or 0.3 us
- Long working distance objectives and high numerical aperture
Recommended cameras :
The Fastcam UX50 and UX100 are two of our high speed 1.3 MPixel cameras for Microfluidic applications where the pixel size and sensor size are ideal for the application. Other cameras are available.
Articles on Microfluidics where Photron Fastcam cameras were used: